As mentioned in our previous news, we will be rolling out server updates this week to fix a few bugs and add a few features. The software updates have now been tested and all online servers will be updated on Wednesday 4th November 2015. The scheduled times for each server are as follows:
|Server Name||Upgrade Time||Status|
* Detonates the time has changed since originally scheduled
** Server will not be updated yet as is not currently online
The updates being rolled out to the servers include the following fixes and new features:
- Memory Leak Fix (used to cause the server to crash randomly)
- Increased Timeout Limit (Your bouncer will wait longer for a ping response before timing out)
- Login Notices (When a client tries to login as you, the message sent is now a notice rather than a privmsg)
- DenySetIdent (Allows staff to prevent the changing of ident’s if necessary)
- New GHOST command (Allows you to ghost all other clients connected to your account)
- Allow Expandable Strings in Quit Messages (Allows these to be used in your quit message)
- New Module: ctcpflood – Allows for the blocking of CTCP’s on flood
- New Module: fish – Encrypt channel and private messages using FISH encryption
- New Module: push – Send channel highlights and private messages to a device using push
- New Module: stripcontrols – Strips all color codes from channel and private messages
- CertFP Module now has a web interface
- Crypt module now shows timestamps on messages
We will be upgrading our software further in order to support multiple networks and other features by the end of this year. Dates will be provided nearer the time.
We have also updated several other features of our service as outlined below:
It is now possible to change your own IRC Server to another server that is within the network you have requested. For example, you currently have an IRC Bouncer connected to Freenode via wolfe.freenode.net and decide that you wish to change to irc.freenode.net. This can be done using !changeserver [id/username] [new server] in on of our Official Networks. If you wish to change networks (i.e Freenode to EFNet), you will still need to contact us.
Three Strike Rule on Kills and Bans
As of last week, when your bouncer gets killed or banned from an IRC Network for violating rules, ghosting via services or any other reason, a count will be kept. In the event that you have been killed or banned from your requested IRC Network 3 times, your account will be automatically suspended. This rule has been enforced in order to track and prevent users from constantly abusing our services and getting our IP’s banned from networks. If your account is suspended, you will need to contact us to justify the reasons for the kills/bans. We understand in some cases, these kills may come from issues with the network (i.e sessions) in which case it is likely the suspension will be removed without any need for justification.
With regards to our Lemon server that is currently offline, we are still awaiting a response from the host. If we have not received a response by close of play on Wednesday 4th November 2015, we will have no other choice but to remove it from our service. We will keep users informed of the situation if this arises.
Due to continuous downtime with Lemon and no response from the host or provider, we have decided that the server will decommissioned. There will be no replacement for this server and users on this server will need to request a new bouncer. We apologise for the inconvenience this has caused.
Many more updates are on the way over the coming months, make sure you keep to up to date with the latest information via one of the following methods:
- Visit us on IRC
- Follow us on Twitter
- Like us on Facebook
- Find us on Google+
- Subscribe to us on Reddit
Thanks for choosing BNC4FREE!